Monday, May 23, 2005

The Little Shop

I found the little shop just off 52nd street. One always does, of course and I was pleased that everything was in order when I entered.

Dim, the little old man behind the counter with the sly smile, the great shadows in back of him and there in the display case just what I was looking for.

"I have to say," I told the fellow "An egg .. a crystal egg? This has been done."

He smiled back without saying a word. "But I'll take it, of course. "The usual price?"

He nodded and reached into the case and placed the egg for me to examine."

I believe that there is an instruction manual with it. A moment please." He disappeared into the shadows. Footsteps and then nothing for a bit. By the time he returned I had it working."Quite lovely isn't it?" He handed the manual to me. "This is in Latin!"

He sighed. "It's what they expect. Of course you must never under any circumstances open the egg. Is that understood?" He seemed bored. "Or I lose my soul."

"Of course."

I hurried out into the street the egg in my pocket.

Streetlamps, a women walking her dog, a taxi, a light May rain.I was up all night, of course.

Listening.

Such songs I heard.

It was all there, of course.

All of the past and the future.

The latest flakes of Eternity.

And I kept my soul. I never opened it. Why should I? I knew what was inside. Nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home